FOODS TO EAT & AVOID ON A KETOGENIC DIET
The keto diet has been one of the most talked-about health trends in the past couple of years. From Kim Kardashian to Huma Qureshi, celebrity diets quickly become fad, as people tend to follow them without thinking and analyzing. For some people starting a keto diet may be one of the hardest things to do but eating healthy isn’t always easy, as highly processed food is easily accessible.
The way the diet works is that it cuts out carbohydrates from your food, allowing your body to utilize fats for energy production. In other words, keto (short for ketogenic) diet forces your body to burn fat rather than sugar, which may causes potential weight loss.
Just like other diets, the keto diet has its pros and cons like which foods to eat and which of them to avoid. If you’re curious about trying the keto diet, we’ve put together this ketogenic diet food list to help you make decisions on what to shop for and figure out what foods to eat.
What to eat on a Ketogenic diet–
- Meat and protein – Lamb, Pork, Bacon, Eggs
- Fats and oils – Butter, Olive oil, Avocado and Coconut oil
- Low carb veggies – Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cucumber, Spinach, Onion, Pumpkin, Lettuce and Radish
- Dairy Products– Cottage cheese, Condensed milk, Yogurt
- Nuts – Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans, Pine nuts and Hazelnut
- Seeds – Sesame seeds, Flax seed and Hemp seeds
- Fruits – Cherries, Cranberries, Strawberries
- Drink & Beverages – Water, Green tea, Coconut milk, Cashew milk
- Flour – Psyllium husk, Almond flour, Coconut flour
What to avoid on a Ketogenic diet–
- Crabs and grains – Wheat, Quinoa, Rice, Pasta
- Sugar – Maple syrup, Chocolates, Honey, Cookies, Ice creams and Pastries
- Refined oils – Corn oil, Sunflower oil, Soya bean oil
- Alcohol – Beer, Sweetened cocktails and wine
- Beans and Legumes – Chickpea, Kidney beans and Green peas
4 surprising benefits of a Ketogenic diet:
- Helps with weight loss – The keto diet helps you to lose weight by putting your body into a state of ketosis. As your body continues to burn fat for fuel, you will naturally lose weight.
- Better mental focus –Ketone improves the way our body produces energy, which results in feeling better and more focused.
- Decreases your appetite – In ketosis, ghrelin, hunger-stimulating hormone gets suppressed, making you eat less.
- Enjoy more energy – Traditional diets are often heavy on starch and sugar. A low carb keto diet helps in decreasing blood sugar and stabilizing insulin levels in the body.
Many of our clients, have been asking if a ketogenic diet is safe or would we recommend it? We don’t promote keto diets per se but if someone insists of trying it then we don’t refuse them too. Keto diets are a bit inflexible to follow. Even if you have a single gram of carb or alcohol during ketosis, the whole process will backfire and the fats that you eat the whole day will immediately get stored for further use since glycogen will again be used as a primary source of energy.
So, to cut it short, a diet shall be one that can be adapted easily and shall not put a dent on your social life and taste buds. At ParaFit Delivers, we are determined to achieve that and give our clients the fastest results. We provide keto meal delivery wherever you go in Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida. The diet technique that we choose depends on the lifestyle and routine of our clients.