2 to 3 regular medium sized idli’s
1 medium onion
1 medium to large tomato
1 green chili,
½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 pinch turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon red chili powder
½ teaspoon pav bhaji masala
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon oil
¼ cup water
1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
How to make recipe
Preparation for masala idli recipe:
- chop the idlis and keep aside. make bite sized pieces and do not chop finely.
- finely chop 1 medium sized onion and 1 medium to large sized tomato. keep aside.
- also chop 1 green chillii. keep aside.
- also crush ½ inch ginger (adrak) + 3 to 4 garlic (lahsun) to a paste in mortar-pestle. keep aside.
Making masala idli recipe:
- heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. add 1/4 teaspoon cumin and let them crackle.
- then add 1/2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste. saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- then add 1/3 cup finely chopped onion.
- stir well and saute till the onions turn translucent or a light brown.
- now add 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes.
- mix well and then add 1 green chili, chopped.
- saute till the tomatoes soften.
- then add a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon pav bhaji masala. also add salt as per taste.
- mix the spices very well with the onion-tomato mixture.
- add 1/4 cup water. use idlis which have been refrigerated. if using fresh idlis then don’t add any water. you can even skip adding water if you want.
- mix well and simmer the gravy on a low to medium flame.
- simmer till the gravy thickens. this takes about 2 minutes on a low flame.
- then add the chopped idlis.
- mix the idlis very well. the idlis will absorb the gravy and become moist and soft. 15. switch off the flame and lastly add chopped coriander leaves. mix well.
- serve masala idli hot. you can sprinkle lemon juice if you want.