In fast pacing lifestyle, hectic work schedules disturbed sleep patterns and long work hours of sitting on a chair; we tend to get that love handles! No matter what the name says, we definitely don’t love them. We all plan to hit the gym from the coming Monday but that Monday never comes.
A lot of you have heard about keto diet plans! Everyone is following it. You can see all the fitness and diet related post with hashtag keto under it!
ParaFit will clear out all of your doubts about keto!
In this blog you will learn:
– What is Ketosis?
– The hype about keto diet.
– How your body reacts to ketones
– What to eat and what not to eat.
– Benefits of a ketogenic diet.
– Our take on a keto diet.
KETO? WHAT IS IT?
The word “keto” comes from ketones, the name of small “fuel molecules” present in the body. Keto diet plan or ketosis diet is a low carb and high-fat diet in which body reduces carbohydrates usage and replace it with fats. This metabolic state of the body is known as ketosis.
When the limited source of glucose runs out in the body, it becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. Keto diet turns fat into ketones in the liver which provides energy for the brain. These ketones are produced when we eat a very few amounts of carbs(less than 50g a day) and a moderate amount of proteins.
There are varied versions of keto diet out of which SKD (Standard ketogenic diet) is the most recommended one! The SKD is a low-carb, moderate protein and a high-fat diet which contains 75% of fat, 20% of protein and 5% of carbs.
WHY EVERYONE LOVES KETO?
Keto diet is a very superior and efficient than any other diet for losing weight with minimal risk factors. The most impressive factor about keto diet is you don’t have to starve yourself anymore for losing weight. In fact, the diet is so nourishing that you can lose weight without keeping a track on your calorie intake. Keto diet not only burns fat but also it makes you feel less hungry and helps to maintain your muscles! Voila!
According to research, people on keto diet lost 3 times more weight than the people who are on calorie-restricted, low-fat diet.
SIGNS OF BODY IN KETOSIS:
For a normal person, It only takes 3-4 days for ketosis to strike in while eating less than 50grams of carbs a day! That’s when the body starts to produce ketones for supplying energy to the body and brain.
When your body converts from a sugar-burner to a fat-burner the magic happens! The fat on your body starts to disappear.
But how will you know that your body has entered into a ketosis phase?
There are various symptoms besides a measurement tool through which you can know if your body is in ketosis or not!
- You lose weight: the main reason you started keto diet aka weight loss! In the initial stages of keto, you start to lose weight rapidly! But that’s not the fat burning, it’s the water being released which was held by the cells. After the drop of water held in cells, you can lose fat fast from your body if you are consistent with your diet. Remember, each gram of carb holds 4 grams of water so when you stop your carb intake, MAGIC!!
- You feel less hungry: strange things happen when you break up with carbs! You will not crave for food which will make you feel like you will explode after eating! Eating fats keeps you full for a longer period.
- Increased focus and energy: this is the best thing about ketosis that we love! You don’t feel like crashing in the afternoons or you don’t feel tired with your normal routine at the end of the day! This happens because your body creates ketones in abundance which provides more than enough fuel energy for your brain! After all who doesn’t love being the energetic whole day.
- Toilet issues: you can either face diarrhea or constipation while ketosis. And the lucky ones don’t face any problem at all!
- Bad breath: bad breath is a thing which everyone hates. It’s like the worst thing to wake up to. But you don’t have to worry about it, it doesn’t stay throughout the day just brush it up and keep your chewing gums handy!
WHAT TO EAT & WHAT NOT TO EAT
Nutrition is the main key to a keto diet. Here’s the list of your food do’s and don’ts.
WHAT TO EAT
- Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken and turkey.
- Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna, and mackerel.
- Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Butter and cream: Look for grass-fed when possible.
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella).
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Primarily extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil.
- Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
- Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
- Condiments: You can use salt, pepper, and various healthy herbs and spices.
What not to eat:
- Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
- Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries.
- Beans or legumes: Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbs.
- Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar and unhealthy fat.
- Unhealthy fats: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Due to their carb content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
- Sugar-free diet foods: These are often high in sugar alcohols, which can affect ketone levels in some cases. These foods also tend to be highly processed.
BENEFITS OF KETO DIET:
Keto diet was actually devised to treat neurological diseases such as epilepsy but turned out it serves numerous health benefits as well for many illnesses.
- Heart disease: keto diet improves risk factors like body fat, HDL cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and blood sugar.
- Cancer: The diet is also used to treat several types of cancer and slow tumor growth.
- Alzheimer’s disease: ketosis reduces symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and slows its growth.
- Epilepsy: ketogenic diet can cause massive reductions in seizures in epileptic children.
- Parkinson’s disease: keto diet improves symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: The ketogenic diet can help reduce insulin levels, which plays a key role in treating PCOS
- Brain injuries: This diet reduces concussions and aid recovery after brain injury.
- Acne: Lower insulin levels and eating less sugar or processed foods help improve acne
PARAFIT’s OPINION ON KETO
There are hundreds of diet techniques that we use on our clients depending on the body type and goals but the key in all of them remains the same that is CONSISTENCY.( Pic courtesy by google)
Everybody’s body is different. Keto diet acts differently with different people. In some people, ketosis starts within 2-3 days while in some it takes around a week. We in ParaFit prefer keto diet as the best suitable way for people who want to lose body fat fast, though it is not suitable for elite sportspersons. The main key to follow any diet or routine is to be consistent and dedicated to it for getting results. At ParaFit, we not only customise the keto diet plan but also deliver keto meals in Delhi/NCR. Subscribe to keto meal delivery plan today.