- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 800g can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 400g Barilla Penne Rigate
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until it softens slightly. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Stir in the parsley and sugar. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately.